On 9 January 2014 the Law of Ukraine "On organic production and distribution of organic products and raw materials" came into force and must become the main legislative act in the field of organic market regulation. Meanwhile, Ukrainian standards of organic production, certification rules and accreditation rules for certification bodies, etc have not been approved yet. That is why Ukrainian producers continue being certified under standards of other countries.
The most widespread standards of organic production in Ukraine are the following:
- EU legislation: Council Regulation (EC) 834/2007 (in the past - EU Regulation 2092/91) and other regulations: Council Regulation (EC) 889/2008; Council Regulation (EC) 1235/2008
- US legislation: National Organic Program (NOP)
- Japanese legislation: JAS Standards
- Switzerland, Israel, Argentina, Australia have organic legislations equivalent to Council Regulation (EC) 834/2007.
- The standards equivalent to Council Regulation EC 834/2007 and 889/2008 are applied in the third countries, including Ukraine.
There are also private organic standards but in different countries they can be no less important that state standards.